Leslie Viaduct


En route to Markinch behind ex-NBR Class S (LNER Class J37) 0-6-0 No. 64618, the daily branch freight is pictured passing over the handsome masonry-built 14-arch viaduct over the River Leven shortly after leaving the branch terminus at Leslie in February 1964. The Leslie Branch closed to passengers in January 1932 but was retained for freight, mainly for agricultural produce and to serve the local paper mills. The viaduct now forms part of a public walkway through the town of Glenrothes. East Lomond, also known as Falkland Hill, looms on the horizon. [W.J.V. Anderson]

Leslie

Opened: 1857.
Closed to passengers: 4th January, 1932.
Closed to all traffic: 9th September, 1967.


Ex-LNER Class J38 0-6-0 No. 65910 awaits departure from the branch terminus at Leslie on 16th August, 1961, with the lightly-loaded 4.10pm goods for Markinch, shunting as required at Auchmuty Paper Mill and Haig's whisky bottling plant. The passenger service on the branch ceased in 1932, but goods traffic continued until 1967. [W.A.C. Smith]

Collapse )